Sunday, October 5, 2008

Does anyone else out there remember "BIONIC" buttons from the 80's?

Just a question - I was listening to General Conference today and they were encouraging us to have courage to share our beliefs. I was reminded of a time when I was in either High School or Jr High and maybe it was just a local thing but they passed out these buttons at church. They had a heart on them and said "BIONIC", with a white background. BIONIC stood for "Believe it or not I care" and we had to promise that if we took one, we'd wear it everywhere. Well, I don't actually remember the promising, I just had a flash back of being in PE and my teacher telling me I couldn't wear the button on my gym clothes. "But Mrs ?! It's for my church! It's not bad! I promised I'd wear it!" yeah, I didn't get away with it. I think she rolled her eyes at me and told me to take it off. I wonder if I could have gotten away with it today. "I have to wear it for religious purposes!" "Oh, ok Barbara. I'm sorry. Can I have one too? I looks really nice with your gym top!" I don't know. It seems like people get away with more these days. I googled forever and I couldn't find a photo. Does anyone else remember them? The idea was that it would be a conversation starter, but I don't remember anyone ever asking me about it. It was small, like the black or white buttons everyone wore on their denim jackets or bags in the 80's. Anyway, the notion of me arguing with my PE teacher to wear that button just cracked me up. Oh, I felt so misunderstood. *grin*

No comments: