Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Nutcracker - A Success story

Last Saturday, Dec 20th, we went to see the Nutcracker with my folks and my sister and her kiddos. I wish I could prove to you that they went, but you'll have to trust me. While we were there we saw some friends in the audience getting ready to go into the theater and we even saw a dear little Primary friend in the program.

It was a special night because I went to see this particular showing of the Nutcracker as a teenager and fell in love with the special effects and dazzling abilities of the ballet company. I always pictured taking my children to see it, but Mr. W had no patience for any such nonsense as a show with no words and a bunch of people dancing. Finally, a few years ago I decided to bite the bullet and we began taking them to the show at the local community college. It was much cheaper than this theater, and the audience was much less concerned with a little noise made by one kid with autism. That first year was sooo hard. It took a lot of M&M's and offers to earn something fun at home if he could just sit still for 5 more min.

As time passed Mr. W got more and more accustomed to attending and better at being behaved at the performances so that we were able to invite Mike's daughter and his folks to go with us last year. That was so fun! Mr. W now loves the show so I decided this was the year. We bought tickets on the first day possible in October or November and it was a really great experience. I'm not going to say he was perfect. At one point near the end the adult dancers (much less fun for a kid to watch) came out again to dance for Clara and Mr W loudly said "OH NO! Not them again!" (I was feeling a bit the same way - this show is longer than the one at the local college.) but overall he did great. Not perfect, but he did great. I am so pleased with both of our boys for allowing me to share something I love with them. After wards we enjoyed a ritzy dinner of In-N-Out chesseburgers and fries with my folks and Wen & Rob & kiddos. Only the best for our family!

*Speaking of the best, may I point out that both of my boys are wearing Dollar Tree matching Santa ties? I yanked the music boxes out of the ties so as to not interrupt church or the ballet, but I love them! Mike has one too! I love dollar stuff!!!!!

No comments: