Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jay Leslie Stickley and Ivy Bulkley Stickley Buckley

I have been scanning, (very slowly), photos from my Great Grandmother Ivy's photo album. This is one of the fun ones that I wanted to share. This is a photo of my great grandparents on my Mom's Father's side, Jay and Ivy. (I wish I knew the dog's name too!)

Jay Leslie Stickley was born on 4 March 1890 in Minneapolis, Ottawa Co, Kansas. He married Ivy Bulkley (daughter of Samuel Bulkley and Louisa Ann Giles) on 3 Dec 1910 in Provo, Utah Co, Utah. Ivy was born 9 Mar 1892 in Springville, Utah Co, Utah. Their only son, my Grandpa, Howard Bulkley Stickley Buckley (Married Marjorie Lindsey Stickely Buckley) was born 12 May 1918 in Nam
pa, Ada Co, Idaho. Jay passed on 30 Oct 1918 when his son was only 3 months old. It is understood that he died from the flu. What an awful time for Ivy, to have a new son and to have lost her husband. Jay was buried the next day on 31 Oct 1918 in Nampa, Kohlerlawn Cem, in Ada Co, Idaho. Ivy remarried 17 Aug 1920 to William Summers Bulkley, and they changed their name to "Buckley." Yes, he was her 1st cousin, and no, there were no children to this marriage. (I'm not saying I approve but I wasn't there and I don't know what life was like then without a husband.) Ivy lived until 30 May 1947 when she died in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co, Utah. She was buried in Wasatch lawn Cemetary in Salt Lake City, Utah. This information is from the personal knowledge of my mom, and from visiting the cemetaries personally by either myself or my folks.

I am sharing this information on the off chance that one of my cousins is out there, perhaps "googling" great grandpa or great grandma, and wanting to see a photo or learn more.

4 comments:

Lois Lane said...

OMG, I almost thought that was NApoleon for a moment! Sorry! That is so great that you are getting family history information. I am totally stuck and I am trying to find ways to break thorough a line! Good luck and keep at it!

Mikybarb said...

Thanks Kari! Yeah, it is quite the hat ain't it? *grin* I imagine it must have been fashionable for her to have worn it in a picture. Try prayer when nothing else works - it sure has helped me with family research!

Lightkeeper said...

Hi again! Hey, I keep finding links on Google in the funniest places. Found out all about the Wights recently. Another family link. There was a Chauncey Wight who died in 2004 and opened a nursery a few blocks from where I now live - still called Wights. I wish I'd known the family connection then because he might have been a relative (yours too!). Loved the Bulkley Stickley Buckley (that is a mouthful) photos.

Kimber said...

So cool that you know so much about them. Some day, maybe when I retire, I hope to have more time to get to know my ancestors. NOT that I want any visits from them now, mind you! (We get lots of spiritual visitation experiences in the Polynesian islands.)