Wednesday, April 8, 2009

School Carnival




Friday, April 3rd was our local elementary schools carnival. It had a pirate theme and as usual, we volunteered to work our class booth. This year I was able to get the first time slot so I was there before it opened to help set up. We had a great time "practicing" the "Bowler Coaster" booth and Mike worked some wood under the tracks to make it more fair....the blacktop tilted at an angle making it harder to win....no stacking the decks against our students! The room moms took pictures of the kids wearing pirate hats and then cut the heads out and stuck them on these bowling shirts that were on a bowling ball garland. It looked so cute! I've tried to upload the photo twice, and each time it comes out sideways so I guess you'll have to imagine it right side up. Sorry.

So, during my shift Mike ran around with the boys letting them play the games and go on ride
s, whatever they wanted. It's funny, the school sells an "unlimited wristband" for $40 that gets the kids as many rides and unlimited gaming all night. But the thing I've learned is, there is something magical about holding tickets in your hand....the power to decide if I only have "x" many, what will I use them on? The kids with the wristbands almost seem a little bored, because there is no "I only have so many chances" mentality. So our boys held a few of their tickets, while Mike safeguarded the ones that would buy our dinners. (Pizza slices for the kids, and churros,, and Mike and I had the "Mexican plate" which was 2 tacos, a quesadilla, nachos, beans and rice. My point is that we were all well fed!)

At one point Squish's friend George put their teacher, Mrs. Peirog in "Jail" . The kids loved it and she was such a good sport. (The booth worker announces over the louspeaker "Mrs. Pierog, you've been arrested! Please report to the jail!" And then who ever was arrested stands in the jail made of black pvc pipes and acts outraged. ) I am so
impressed with his teacher, she's one of those teachers you wish you could keep year after year! (Although I wouldn't do that to her! hee hee) Mr. W really enjoyed riding the train ride, and we all just had a great time seeing friends and enjoying the dj's.

We had to leave early so we co
uld go to musical presentation with my folks about Jesus and his life, at their Stake Center which was a very spiritual experience for us all. And, we got Golden Spoon afterwards, so it was a very excellent night!

2 comments:

Rebecca Kline said...

What a fun day. Did you and the kids just fall into bed when you got home?

Mikybarb said...

Yessss! It was midnight and we were all very done!!!