Monday, November 24, 2008

The day started out good....after La Paz

The following is probably too much information. I apologize. I tried to keep it light.

We got back on the ship, and had a late lunch on deck. I had this odd feeling like I should take any and all pictures that I wanted while I could and to not wait until the last day like I generally do. So I was snapping photos all over, documenting the silly places we had been, like David getting food at the Lido Deck Grill, us eating (for the A/C) inside Tiffany's. I stood for an hour or so and photographed us leaving La Paz, the sunset, and lots of coastal images. I ha
ve a new camera that I am not used to so I had fun using some of the different settings. That night we went to dinner. Steven mentioned his tummy kind of hurt, but he'd been playing his DS Lite game "Legend of Zelda" and it makes him nervous so Mayme (my Mom) suggested it was nerves and I thought she was probably right. Dinner was great. We tried new foods, I had a stuffed bell pepper that we split 4 or so ways and for dinner I had turkey. It was great, dessert (as shown by Wen) was lovely and our wait staff of Marina and Tommie took great care of us. We went to get seats for the "family friendly" hypnotist show. The menfolk stayed with the kids and the women window shopped near by at the on ship store. We got back, and Squish & Mr W were playing video games with the cousins. All was well. We saw the show, and after Squish said he really had to go to the restroom. Fine. We stopped to return a shirt I had bought Mr W who used to love everything and upon turning 12 really doesn't like much now. Squish was becoming urgent, so Mike took him to the room.

Goodbye vacation.
We didn't know it, but he had probably contracted the Noro Virus and it would spread to me next, at about 5 am the day we were going to go to Ensenada. I have never seen Squish so sick. Let's just say it was horrible.

The next day was "a fun da
y at sea." (That's what the ships really call it.) I sent Mike and Mr. W to enjoy the ship I think. I don't remember much about it. Squish learned he could hit the toilet's flush button behind him on the wall with his head while seated. If only I could use that for the talent show at his school!

Wednesday morning. Oh no. I'm sick. Off Mike goes to the Medic for me, and fills out the forms. The medic says that I am to stay in isolation with Squish in my room and turns off my key card and won't let me off the s
hip. Not that I could have gone.

Mike and the others went to port, and took the "La Bufadora" tour. When they were returning on the bus Mr W was struck ill. (My folks joke that they saw 2 bufadoras that day.)
At one point during the night Mr. W was so sick that Mike had to take his pulse to see if he was still with us. It was very scary and I just kept thinking that we had never been that sick before. Mike fell ill during the night, and that was the final straw. Mr W couldn't walk, and Mike couldn't carry him now, so we had to have Mr. W leave the ship in a wheel chair. All four of us must have looked pretty. We were all, Squish included, still being sick, and had a decently long drive home ahead. We had originally hoped to spend the day or 2 days hanging out in San Diego with the family, but we had to go home. We made it home, and about a week later, were declared heathly enough to go back out into public.

Would I go again? Heck yeah! But I would take Clorox cleaning wipes and wash everything in my room down, and I would make the kids wash their hands a lot more!


No comments: